IPB

[Add Reply] [New Topic]
> Craig Kilborn and Johnny Carson's Stank
Peter Everhard
post Aug 14 2004, 09:06 PM [ Post #1 ]

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 25

Johnny Carson took over the Tonight Show at a time when no one who had ever hosted the show failed at it.

The Tonight Show has Never Ever failed to be #1 no matter who hosted it. Yet, Johnny Carson, by virtue of the fact that he camped his tired ass out on The Tonight Show longer than anyone else, convinced himself (and everyone else for a while) that The Tonight Show was all about him (that The Tonight Show could not be The Tonight Show without Johnny Carson).

At the height of Johnny Carson's hold on NBC, Carson demanded that the people producing The Tonight Show be turned over to his company and that NBC put a certain number of tv shows from Carson's company (no matter how good or bad they were) on NBC's prime time schedule.

There then is no mystery to why NBC used Saturday Night Life to humiliate Carson and to openly suggest to him that it was time for him to move his tired ass along. The only shocking thing to me is that NBC didn't have Carson killed.

It is very possible that the reason NBC wanted nothing whatsoever to do with David Letterman after it booted Carson out, may have had something to do with the fact that Letterman was under contract to Carson's company and/or that Letterman wanted the same PERKS from NBC that Carson demanded.

In fact, based on what I can tell, Letterman does in fact have the same deal with CBS that Carson had with NBC, i.e., Letterman's show is owned and produced by Letterman's company (as is the Late Night Show which follows it) and CBS is under some requirement to put a certain number of Letterman's company's shows on it Prime Time Broadcast schedule (Everybody Loves Raymond being one of them).

While CBS may, by accident, have made out okay with Everybody Loves Raymond, Letterman's Show has never and probably will never come close to beating The Tonight Show in the ratings.

While Johnny Carson is no longer on tv, his stank is still funking up Late Night and Prime Time.

I submit to you that the reason that Ray Ramano and Craig Kilborn are leaving their shows is because they don't see the sense in having David Letterman's company feeding off of them like a giant parasite. And the concept by which Letterman got CBS to allow his company to own Everybody Loves Raymond and Late Night with Craig Kilborn can be traced back directly to Johnny Carson.

Go to the top of the page
[Off] [Card] [PM]
[Add Reply] [New Topic]

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

... Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:42 AM