IPB

[Add Reply] [New Topic]
> Breaking Into Temping, starting temping in general
Ross Russell
post Feb 23 2003, 05:37 AM [ Post #1 ]

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are in need of work and you are turning to temping in New York, you have to just start registering with temp agencies until you find some that give you work.

There is no real way to know which agencies will give you work and which ones won't. I once registered with this agency at about 1:00 pm and I was convinced that I would never hear from them. The agency called me at 4:00 pm that day asking me if I could work THAT night.

If the agency forces you to go through very elaborate registration rituals, they either don't have any work or they don't like you, for one reason or another. Sometimes it is advisable to keep calling into an agency asking if there is work available, but in general, if they are not calling YOU, you need to keep registering with more agencies until you find ones that do call you. Knowledge of Microsoft Office is a required basic skill, but if an agency really needs people they will train you in whatever it takes to send you out on jobs.

--------------------
Ross Russell
Copyright 1996-2004
Relationship LLC

Go to the top of the page
[Off] [Card] [PM]
Ross Russell
post Feb 15 2004, 12:12 PM [ Post #2 ]

Administrator

Everything in NYC is a Numbers Game

Successful temping in New York City is a numbers game just like everything else in New York City.

There are 7+ million abused idiot useless *uckers in NYC who deserve to die and you only need to find maybe two or three people out of that 7+ million that you can live with without killing in order to have a relatively nice life.

The same numbers game applies also to temping,

There are about 3,000+ idiot useless *ucking temp agencies in New York City, and you only have to find about two or three good ones that give you work and that you can work with without killing everyone in the place.

And,

(and this is why the relatively few sane people living in New York City still live in New York City) ...

When you have a City packed with 7+ million abused idiot useless *uckers and 3,000+ idiot useless *ucking temp agencies, finding two or three people that you can live with without killing and finding two or three temp agencies that you can work with without killing everyone in the place becomes a relatively easy thing to achieve.

The key then to keeping your sanity in New York City

(and avoiding prison)

then becomes a matter of TARGETING, ferreting out, the two or three people that you can live with and the two or three temp agencies that you can work with in such a way that you get to interface with as few useless idiot *ucking aholes as possible.

--------------------
Ross Russell
Copyright 1996-2004
Relationship LLC

[Off] [Card] [PM]
Ross Russell
post May 2 2004, 11:16 PM [ Post #3 ]

Administrator

How Big Is Your World?

At one time, my world revolved around First Boston, Bearn Stearns, Dillion Read and Cadwalader.

There is so much more to temping in New York City that these four companies.

There is so much more to temping in New York City than investment banks.

There is so much more to temping in New York City than law firms.

While it may require more work, you CAN make a lot of money temping in New York City outside of the little circle of law firms and investment banks that seem to be the world to some temp agencies.

I Need to Start Registering with more Temp Agencies

I have finally finished with some dental work that I needed to get done and because I am not getting a lot of work right now, I need to start registering with temp agencies again. (I don't actually want to temp and I can "get by" on my business now, but I need another source of income as a "safety")

I have convinced myself that the world that I once enjoyed of working only at night and the world where there was always a lot of work available is history. At my age, I need to get a PERM job (as a fall back to my business).

I have divided the temp agencies that I am currently registered with into two categories.

Category One is a list of temp agencies that have called me with work in the last year or so. Category Two is a list of temp agencies that have never called me and that I don't think will ever call me.

Category One has 15 temp agencies in it and Category Two has 10 temp agencies in it. And these two listings don't include temp agencies that I may have registered with years ago that still have me on their active list (back in the day I was registered with about 35 temp agencies).

The thing is that I have, as stated, traditionally worked only at night and mostly in word processing centers at law firms and investment banks (or night staff at law firms and investment banks). I need to register with temp agencies catering to a different market. I figure I will have to go through maybe about 10 or 20 more agencies to get a couple that will give me steady work in a different market.

--------------------
Ross Russell
Copyright 1996-2004
Relationship LLC

[Off] [Card] [PM]
Critter
post Jul 11 2004, 12:19 PM [ Post #4 ]

Christopher Paige

Member No.: 2

Over Their Dead Bodies

I am embarassed to admit that I spent the first ten or so years of my life in New York City ASSuming that the fahking New Yorkers were normal homo spaiens, and that there must have been something wrong with MY approach. There is nothing wrong with MY approach or your approach, it is them, they are all abused stupid aholes who deserve to die.

The key then to success in New York City is stepping over the bodies of the idiot fahks in the Workplace (figuratively speaking of course). In other words, the key to success in New York City is being a consultant (or working for a consulting firm) or owning your own business (because the liberal arts aholes in the workplace in New York City have no fahking clue).

Hand Waver City

New York City is Hand Waver City, there are very few if any jobs in New York City that require any technical expertise. The New York City workplace is full of idiots who have to call in a temp or a consultant whenever any actual work has to get done.

It then doesn't take a rocket scientist to conclude that being in the New York City workplace with 7+ million cluless, usless, "liberal arts" aholes is not the path to fame and fortune.

[Off] [Card] [PM]
[Add Reply] [New Topic]

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

... Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:44 AM