IPB

[Add Reply] [New Topic]
> Apple Lisa, father of the Macintosh
Critter
post May 30 2004, 08:20 PM [ Post #1 ]

Christopher Paige

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

My first big temp job when I came to New York City was with a commerical bank, it was a great gig and I allowed one stupid beauch (who is probably dead now) to cause me to quit the assignment.

Anywho, the job was great and I was working with some okay people.

One day, the department that I was working in was removing old computers out of the bank's branches and, since the bank didn't want the old computers, the guys in the group that I worked in were taking some of the computers, throwing some in the trash and giving others away to their friends.

This was some time ago when PCs were rather expensive, so the guys grabbed the working PCs and working Apples right away.

Nobody in the group that I was working in wanted this big gigantic looking thing that was apparently made by Apple, it was by Apple and it didn't work. Everybody was into IBM and IBM compatible PCs. So, I got the Apple machine because no one else wanted it.

Well, the Apple Machine was in fact a Lisa, the father of the original little Apple Mac.

The Lisa is huge, the machine would take up a whole desktop by itself. The monitor and computer of the Lisa are all one piece.

When I was bringing the Lisa home, I actually lost control of it at the top of a stair in the 42nd Street Subway and it fell down the stairs hitting some guy on the leg.

The Lisa that I got didn't work, but after a little bit of investigation, I found that the only problem with it was that some of the resistors on the power board were burnt out. Apparently, as a result of some power surge, a few resistors were blown out and the machine therefore would not boot up.

Once I replace the blown resistors, everything else on the Lisa worked, the machine actually had a small hard drive in it. The fact that the machine had a harddrive in it meant that it probably cost at least $10,000 new and was the top of the line Apple Business Computer at the time that it was purchased by the bank.

The Lisa cost Apple $50m and 200 people years to develop (the Apple II took only 2 people years). It sold in the U.S for nearly $10,000. http://lisa.sunder.net/mirrors/Simon/Lisa/What.html

The Legacy of the Apple Lisa Personal Computer

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Christopher Paige
http://www.honation.com
Copyright 1996-2004 Relationship LLC

Go to the top of the page
[Off] [Card] [PM]
[Fast Reply] [Add Reply] [New Topic]

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

... Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:13 PM